Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

  1. #11
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    And the smaller situations are dealt with with the local/state government also.

    When you make a blanket law like that, you are begging for fraud, it's not possible to extend that to everyone just because of a few cases here and there. In some case there were to be another attack, then health problems like this arose, then we can say it was wrong.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    And the smaller situations are dealt with with the local/state government also.

    When you make a blanket law like that, you are begging for fraud, it's not possible to extend that to everyone just because of a few cases here and there. In some case there were to be another attack, then health problems like this arose, then we can say it was wrong.

    Not disagreeing with you on the froud BUT it still does not make it right that people in 2 differant parts of the country will get treated differantly based solely on where they live to me that just seems wrong....If the fire fighters that worked 9/11 and now have related health problems diserve special treatment so does the the guy in Kingsport that has the same issues due to fighting fires there IMHO there is (or should not be) any differance

  3. #13
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    Like I've said several times, this was normal on the job complications, a house-fire that's out in no more than an hour is routine(not taking away from what they do), but working at ground zero(this isn't just firefighters by any means) for an extended amount of time comes with a thousand times more the health risks than something routine in kingsport or elsewhere. This is a federal matter and this has effected many, many people...it had to be acted on at that level, the scattered incidents here and there couldn't possibly be, nor should it be, acted on at the fed. level like that. They are very, very different.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    What about the citizens in the area who have similar health issues because of the bombings that were not workers? Are they covered also?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #15
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    Not that I know of, is there even people that live that close to it? I would bet it's mostly all businesses near ground zero. And if there are ones that live that close to it, I'd imagine they weren't there too much after the area was closed off, cleaned up and inspected for months after.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    There was a lot of housing around it. Numerous apartment complexes especially. What I think we get into here is discrimination if we find a lot of workers getting these deals when Joe American doesnt and he/she was dealing with the hazardous fumes and such as well and not knowing where we stop since this has became a "federal issue".
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    There was a lot of housing around it. Numerous apartment complexes especially. What I think we get into here is discrimination if we find a lot of workers getting these deals when Joe American doesnt and he/she was dealing with the hazardous fumes and such as well and not knowing where we stop since this has became a "federal issue".

    That is what I was getting at it seems to me we are saying that the health of those in NY is more important than the health of those in Utah.....the avg citizan is in the back of the line in all cases

  8. #18
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    I wouldn't call the people who rushed in to help when they didn't have to for the 9/11 disaster an "avg citizan". They went above and beyond the call of duty to try to rescue people after what happened.

    For instance--let's say a Fireman from Oklahoma went to NYC to help w/the 9/11 efforts. Lots of people traveled from all across the country to come and help in the efforts. Let's say said Fireman suffered an injury attempting to rescue one of the people, or at worst recover a body so it could be buried respectfully...BUT...they were denied healthcare for the injury by their work's insurance plan b/c they suffered the injury 1) outside of their jurisdiction, and 2) off the clock.

    The only people that makes sense to is the insurance company denying the coverage. I'm pretty sure anyone else with half a patriotic heart and sound mind can agree that the Fireman deserves to be taken care of for his service to the country in that time of crisis.

    Why not extend VA health benefits to these people? They may have not been active military duty, but 9/11 was an "act of war" and led to the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. In my eyes, these people were serving their country in war time, though war hadn't been declared yet.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    There was a lot of housing around it. Numerous apartment complexes especially. What I think we get into here is discrimination if we find a lot of workers getting these deals when Joe American doesnt and he/she was dealing with the hazardous fumes and such as well and not knowing where we stop since this has became a "federal issue".
    I figured there might be some apartments around it, but that's about it. As I've said, during the clean-up/recovery period, it was all closed down around it. Plus the infrastructure of the buildings around also was an issue, I highly doubt anyone was living that close to ground zero for many months. And I don't think so at all, that can and would be dealt with on a smaller level in those cases as it should, it's not like the bill prohibits that. A terrorist attack is a federal issue, even just the fact it's on this level with this many people, special circumstances exist.


    Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    That is what I was getting at it seems to me we are saying that the health of those in NY is more important than the health of those in Utah.....the avg citizan is in the back of the line in all cases
    It's not "those in new york", it's about a terrorist attack site that happens to be in New York and responders to it. It really never crossed my mind that this could be taken as that and I don't see how it could be, even the ones that voted against it didn't argue it because of this. Again, it's not like in these scattered incidents that they can't and won't be handled with the local levels like they should.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kudo's to Anthony Weiner...

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post

    It's not "those in new york", it's about a terrorist attack site that happens to be in New York and responders to it. It really never crossed my mind that this could be taken as that and I don't see how it could be, even the ones that voted against it didn't argue it because of this. Again, it's not like in these scattered incidents that they can't and won't be handled with the local levels like they should.

    Not sure how you could take it any other way IMHO the cause should not dictate the result.....I am with Cane as far as extending va benifits to them however I think if that if you do it for that situation you need to do it for all situations that is all I am arguing

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •